What are REST APIs? Know Better RPC Vs REST for HTTP APIs
Do you know what REST APIs and what is the role of REST APIs? Well, it is very much important when it comes to the smooth working of HTTP. Today we will discuss in detail about REST APIs and which is better for HTTP.
What Are REST APIs?
REST is the acronym for Representational State Transfer. It is basically a path for two computer systems to transmit over HTTP in the same way to web browsers and servers. However, it was first termed by Roy Fielding in 2000 in his doctoral article. It has been developed to take advantage of comprising a strategy and thus it takes advantage of HTTP.
Most importantly, the creator does not have to install a library in order to take benefit of REST API design. Here, data is not bound to methods and reserves. Hence, REST has the capacity to deal with multiple types of calls, return different data formats, and even change structurally with the exact execution of hypermedia. REST APIs are not restricted to XML.
In addition, it can withdraw XML, JSON, YAML, being sure of what the client requests. And as a result, users are not needed to know procedure terms in a specific order. In short, REST has got liberty and flexibility. Hopefully, the above phrases will resolve your doubts related to What are REST APIs.
Rest API Standard
We can also call it a Rest API Architecture. ThusRest APIs has the following standards:
- Client-server: REST API can enable the server to parse the request and create the response, the client assumes how responses are shown to the user.
- Stateless: Everything requires is within each request. As a result, the server does not conserve requests.
- Resource identifiers: Interface is designed away so that URLs can easily recognize them.
- Uniform interface: It is adequate to synonymize a reserve with a web page. Because the developer decides APIs interface for resources inside the system which is uncovered to API consumers. However, resources in the system should have one logical URI.
- Cacheable: We know how vital is the caching of data is in every application because it gives rise to performance improvement and spectrum. In fact, the web page, you are reading is a cached version.
- Layered system: In addition, you can obtain a layered system architecture and deploy the REST APIs on server A, and cache data on server B and authenticate requests in Server C.
- Code on demand: When you desire to, you can withdraw executable code to support a part of your application. Well, this rest API standard is a preference.
What is a REST API specification?
REST API uses open API as a specification. Of course, API specification is a specially formatted document that delivers detailed definitions of an API’s and its feasible configurations. One can use REST APIs in Java which though needs step by step guidance. Rest API specifications are written in YAML or JSON.
As it is easy and understandable to both humans and machines. However, the OpenAPI file enables us to describe the entire API as:
- Available endpoints and undertakings on each endpoint.
- Output for each operation.
Rest APIs List
Here are some of the famous REST APIs list:
- Skyscanner Flight Search REST APIs: A metasearch device that gives travel data for flights, hotels as well as car rentals. However, you do not have to go to numerous checking ng as it provides an aggregate price or plan of flights and travel.
- Open Weather Map REST APIs: It is an online service that gives weather data of forecasts. This API access to weather maps and forecasts across the earth.
- API-FOOTBALL REST APIs: This is the most well-known REST APIs as it covers over 300 major and minor football leagues. In addition, give live scores, pre-match odds, events, and many more.
- NasaAPI: API that inquires Nasa’s database and gives statistics on an asteroid, earth imagery, mars rover, and many more.
- Currency Exchange: In order to obtain live currency exchange prices around the world, currency exchange API works.
Is REST API for testing?
REST API Testing is an open-source web mechanization testing technique. It is used for testing RESTful APIs for web applications and its goal is to report the response of REST APIs by delivering several HTTP/S requests to check if the rest API is functioning.
Steps of REST API for Testing:
- Firstly, install the app Advanced REST client (ARC).
- Secondly, enter the URL of the API in the URL textbox.
- Then, choose the technique for the type of HTTP.
- Deliver Headers Set, and Click on Insert header set.
- Now, Click on USE THIS SET.
- Now turn to Body Tab and Set the required Body type and Editor view.
- Lastly, slam the send button.
RPC Vs REST FOR HTTP APIs?
- REST is about reserves, whereas RPC is more about policies.
- It is easy to assume the contract as well as service in RPC whereas the agreement is uniform in REST.
- The omission semantics can be determined in RPC whereas, in REST, the actions and errors are formalized.
- There is insufficient caching assistance in RPC. However, it is not the same in REST, caching is benefited by all mediators.
- In RPC, the server concerns holding of the URL namespace whereas, the Server in REST occupies the URL namespace except for an individual.
To sum up, while choosing between RPC and REST one should know them in detail. But it is suitable to opt for REST as it is relatively easy to deal with. All things in this blog, help you to what are REST APIs? Also, you have cleared with the doubt of differences between RPC Vs REST for HTTP APIs.
Do you have any other queries left?