SEO: A Ladder To Get Success In Digital Marketing
Ever wondered how you get so many different links for a single searched query on SERP? How your Search Engine Result Page(SERP) show in the rankings of a webpage? Or, How one website tops the first page and some other is not even present in the first three pages? How does a particular site get millions of visits? Well, there’s something behind it that helps one website to get an edge over others — what? That’s SEO!
In this article, we will discuss and learn about how search engines work? Specifically, how Google (as it is the preferred search engine in the world) provide a page rank to a website? What are the factors on which it depends and how you can understand them to make your website appear on the top of the list?
Also Read: How PPC Boost Your Rank On SERO?
Introduction: What is SEO?
SEO or Search Engine Optimization, as the name suggests, is a process that helps in optimizing or enhancing the appearance of a web page to grow and get a mass qualitative traffic of users on a website in a search engine. It is a significant part of Digital Marketing that assists an organization or business to have their websites at the top of the search list on a search engine, say Google, which further increases the chances of user visits on them.
Why is being on the top of the search page important?
- 90% of the users do not prefer to search beyond the 1st page. They usually get what they are searching for on the very first page.
- There are 10 results or links on a google searched page, but the top three results get 60% of the total traffic.
- People usually search by typing the exact query they are searching for. If your content does not contain the relevant keywords (we will talk about it later in this article), there are very fewer chances that your website will ever turn up on the first page or in the top rankings.
How does SEO work?
Google shows the pages by their relevance to the search query. This is known as the SERP (Search Engine Result Page) rank of the page. Google determines this SERP rank by more than 200 factors like Page Rank, Relevance of content, keywords usage, etc.
To give the best results to the queries searched by any user, Google sends bots (or crawlers) to scan different websites, their content, and the information they provide. It checks for the content readability, credibility, & relevance of content. Also, there are other factors based on which, the page rankings are offered.
SEO helps in taking care of these factors on which this rank depends. It focuses on the proper usage of keywords, precise information, and a complete understanding of the users.
For instance, if a user searches for the recipe of Chicken noodles, Google will search for the pages having the keywords ‘recipe’, ‘chicken noodles’ etc. The website that presents only veg dishes would not appear on the search results. If a website does provide a recipe of Chicken noodles but use ‘Recipe of Non-Veg Noodles’ as the title might appear much below in the list.
To understand more about how SEO works, one needs to understand the factors that affect SEO. These are explained in the next section.
Click to Get: Best Low Budget Digital Marketing Services
Factors which affect SEO:
Certain factors influence the SEO optimization of a web page. These are two categories of this:
1. On-page SEO factors:
- The relevance of the website to the query: Proper page titles (less than 70 characters), descriptions (detailed and relatable), and subheadings (according to H1, H2, H3 tags) should be given on the website.
- Authentic and rich content: The content on the page needs to be fresh, original, and rich in keyword density.
- The technicality of the website: Eg., No coding errors, fast page loading time, etc.
- Meta tags: Every page on your website should have proper meta tags to view the source code of that element.
- Consistency of NAP: Name, Address, and Phone number of the publisher or owner of the site need to be consistent at all the places.
- Authentic links: A website having a good amount of backlinks to it leads to a preferred page and gets a good page rank.
- Social factors: If a website provides genuine content and gets much likes, shares, or feedback socially on different social media platforms then it would get good engagement. Hence, will be seen as a reliable site.
Roles of SEO:
- The primary objective of SEO is to help the users to get the required information about the services and products, quickly and more precisely.
- It helps the marketers and businesses to get their web properties on top of the search results.
- Helps to develop a strong relation between connects marketers & customers.
- One single word to give you success in Digital World.
Some of the SEO tools for users to perform different tasks are mentioned below:
- Site-audit tools
- Page Rank tools
- Page authority/domain authority tools
- Coding errors tools
- Page insights tools
In the present scenario, competition is everywhere, in every market and industry. Hence, In the Digital and online world, you need to come up with something unique and much more appealing to establish a place in the SERP and get huge traffic on your website. SEO certainly helps you to get that place in the list. All you need is to have a proper understanding of the tools and techniques you need to optimize your website. For that, pack yourself with a well-framed website, genuine content. Also, a good amount of backlinks and maintained keywords density can help you to attain that rank on the first search page of the search engine.